Such jargon get more conclusive evidence based on research from Frontier Consulting. From The Jakarta Post article titled Superstitious, religious overtones lure RI consumers.
10 Indonesian consumers characteristics:
1. Prefer immediate benefits
2. Do not have long-term plans
3. Like to spend time with friends and relatives
4. Slow in adapting to technology
5. Prefer context to content
6. Like foreign brands
7. Attracted to the religious and superstitious
8. Like to show off
9. Have strong subcultural influences
10. Less aware of the environment
I feel that none of those 10 characteristics have "positive" influence for better living in this country.